Is EXT4 the right FS for > 16TB?

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Sun Dec 19 2010 - 06:58:46 EST

Hi,

I've read a lot of posts regarding people who setup RAID volumes of and up to around 16TB and EXT4 is typically used.

However, in various forums, people still ask what is the correct filesystem for > 16TB? I did read one post somewhere that stated the ext4 developers did not recommend using ext4 for very large volumes, is this still true?

I am looking at creating a 43TB volume possibly in the near future and I have used XFS in the past, which works well and would probably not have any problem with it; however, I have bitten quite a number of times by XFS bugs in the past several years, so I was curious, how does EXT4 perform on larger volumes, e.g., 20TB?

Are there any caveats / problems?

Justin.