Re: Is EXT4 the right FS for > 16TB?

From: Ric Wheeler
Date: Sun Dec 19 2010 - 12:14:52 EST

On 12/19/2010 12:01 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
On 12/19/10 10:53 AM, Justin Piszcz wrote:
Hi,

Wow, there were no updates though after Eric's last comment..
Eric, have there been any improvements in the past 6 months?

Or should one still steer clear from EXT4> 16TB?
There is still no released e2fsprogs which supports> 16T for
ext4, but testing of the not-released bits is welcomed...
Ted says a 16T-capable version is coming soon. There's still
work to be done there, though.

-Eric

I usually tend to point people towards XFS when you need something at greater than 16TB in size....

Good luck,

Ric

Justin.

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010, Sandon Van Ness wrote:

Was it me (houkouonchi) on hard forum? I asked if> 16 TiB support was
considered stable on here a while back:

Is>16TB support considered stable?

This was 6 months ago so maybe things have changed. The thread:

http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-ext4/2010/5/28/6884603/thread

Luckily JFS fixed there userland utilities bug of not being able to
handle> 32TiB very shortly after this and I ended up going that route
and I have yet to have any data loss or problems on my JFS volume:

root@dekabutsu: 08:32 AM :~# df -H /data
/dev/sdd1 36T 22T 15T 61% /data
root@dekabutsu: 08:32 AM :~#

At work with our hundreds/thousands of servers we will likely be going
ext4 as we wont be using it on>16 TiB. I think its a huge improvement
over ext3 but for my use JFS ended up being a better fit. I
refuse/refused to go XFS.