Re: [alsa-devel] [RFC/PATCH v6 03/12] media: Entities, pads and links

From: Hans Verkuil
Date: Tue Dec 21 2010 - 11:49:59 EST

On Wednesday, December 15, 2010 00:50:44 Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Clemens,
>
> On Tuesday 14 December 2010 14:49:15 Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> > > Fine with me. Clemens, any opinion on that ?
> >
> > Fine with me too.
>
> OK I'll use that name.

> > > Should this be clarified by using V4L2_SUBDEV instead then ?
> >
> > If the "SUBDEV" concept doesn't exist outside V4L, that would indeed be
> > better.
> >
> > I don't want to rename things that come out of existing frameworks; this
> > naming discussion makes sense only for those entity (sub)types that can
> > be shared between them. Are there any, besides jacks?
>
> Some entities like TV tuners play a dual audio/video role. I'm not sure how to
> handle them, I lack experience in that field.

It is very important to distinguish between the actual tuner device and the
physical connector. ALSA doesn't program a tuner device, that's the domain
of V4L and DVB. ALSA just sees an input pin.

Regarding tuners there are roughly two types of hardware: one where the audio
goes to an output jack (and the user has to use a loopback cable to hook it up
to an audio input), or it goes to memory using DMA and an ALSA driver.

In the first scenario the MC would model a TV_ANTENNA connector and an AUDIO_OUT
connector. The TV_ANTENNA connector would typically link to a V4L2_SUBDEV_TUNER,
which would link to a V4L2_SUBDEV_AUDIO_DEMOD (in turn linked to the AUDIO_OUT
connector). The tuner would also link to a V4L2_SUBDEV_VIDEO_DIGITIZER (in turn
linked to a DEVNODE_V4L).

In the second scenario there is no AUDIO_OUT connector, instead there is a
DEVNODE_ALSA.

It can get more complex: in the case of MPEG encoders the audio from the tuner
goes to an audio demod, the video goes to a digitizer, and the output of those
subdevs both go into the same MPEG encoder subdev.

When modeling hardware like audio or video devices it is important to remember
to separate I/O pins from actually physical connectors. E.g. an audio device may
have many possible input pins, but how they are hooked up to which physical
connectors is something that is board specific and not part of the audio driver
itself.

Anyway, what we need is a 'connector' entity. And just like the other entities,
connectors can have multiple input pads so I don't see any problems in modeling
antenna connectors.

Regards,

Hans