Re: Regular ext4 error warning with HD in USB dock

From: torn5
Date: Tue Dec 28 2010 - 05:42:34 EST

On 12/28/2010 03:53 AM, Ted Ts'o wrote:
On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 09:53:45AM +1100, Con Kolivas wrote:
Since I moved my internal HD into a USB dock externally and mount the ext4
filesystem on it, I regularly get the following errors after it has been
mounted for a while (see timecode). It doesn't seem to matter which recent
kernel I use.

[1048401.773270] EXT4-fs (sde8): mounted filesystem with writeback data mode.
Opts: (null)
[1048702.736011] EXT4-fs (sde8): error count: 3
[1048702.736016] EXT4-fs (sde8): initial error at 1289053677:
ext4_journal_start_sb:251
[1048702.736018] EXT4-fs (sde8): last error at 1289080948: ext4_put_super:719
That's actually not an error. It's a report which is generated every
24 hours, indicating that there has been 3 errors since the last time
the error count has been cleared, with the first error taking place at
Sat Nov 6 10:27:57 2010 (US/Eastern) in the function
ext4_journal_start_sb(), at line 251, and the most recent error taking
place at Sat Nov 6 18:02:28 2010 (US/Eastern), in the function
ext4_put_super() at line 719. This is a new feature which was added
in 2.6.36.

This is going to be a faq...
I suppose the datetime is encoded (what format is that?) in that long number after "at".
May I suggest the datetime gets decoded in the printing?
Also may I suggest that the error happens immediately after mount and not after 300 seconds from mount?

I just subscribed to this list exactly to report the same kind of error.

Last week I was doing reliability tests for open-iscsi and this error drove me crazy. I spent days in tests where I thought I could reproduce an error in open-iscsi by disconnecting and reconnecting the network; I even reported this to the open-iscsi mailing list, but in fact it was an old error of the filesystem and it was not getting cleared by my older e2fsck 1.41.11 .

If that happened immediately after mount or if it spitted the datetime in human readable format, I would have immediately guessed it was due to an existing "filesystem problem" (even though I was running fsck.ext4 -f prior to each mount) but instead I thought it was due to my 5 minutes of "networks disconnection tests" I was doing after each mount. DOH!

Anyway thanks for your work: excellent filesystem.

PS: I have a question for you regarding ext4 behaviour with SCSI commands resubmissions... ok I am opening another thread for that.