Re: Regular ext4 error warning with HD in USB dock

From: Ted Ts'o
Date: Tue Dec 28 2010 - 09:38:29 EST

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 11:41:53AM +0100, torn5 wrote:

> This is going to be a faq...
> I suppose the datetime is encoded (what format is that?) in that
> long number after "at".

Number of seconds since January 1st, 1970 midnight GMT. (Standard
Unix-time format). It's hard for the kernel to decode it since it
doesn't know what time-zone you are in, or what your local legislature
has done vis-a-vis arbitrary and cabritious adjustments to the
start/stop date of daylight savings time, etc.

It's easy enough to decode it using perl:

perl -e '$t = localtime(1289053677); print "$t\n"'

> May I suggest the datetime gets decoded in the printing?
> Also may I suggest that the error happens immediately after mount
> and not after 300 seconds from mount?

Hmmm.... maybe. The idea behind the 300 second delay was for the root
file system, to let e2fsck have a chance to fix the file system before
reporting the errors at mount time.

- Ted