Re: Why do programs freeze with big network transfers?

From: Adam Nielsen
Date: Thu Dec 30 2010 - 20:29:25 EST

After a few seconds of data going over the network, X-Windows freezes. No
screen updates, the mouse cursor won't move, for all intents and purposes the
system has frozen solid. I'm playing music with XMMS2 and that keeps going,
but occasionally even that stops too. After a minute (between 45 and 65
seconds) everything unfreezes and keeps going as per normal. Less than 10
seconds later everything freezes again for another minute! This keeps going
until the file transfer has finished.

This rings a bell here, could you try to apply commit

482964e56e1320cb7952faa1932d8ecf59c4bf75
(net: Fix the condition passed to sk_wait_event())

This commit was included in 2.6.36, so you could also try 2.6.36.2
kernel.

Just booted into 2.6.36.2 and it looks like the problem has indeed been fixed! I've been able to perform the same transfer that would previously cause a freeze 100% of the time and it went through fine.

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Adam.