Re: Network Virtual Terminal

From: Rodolfo Giometti
Date: Wed Jan 05 2011 - 10:23:26 EST

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 06:13:46PM +0100, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> Dear Rodolfo,
>
> On Monday 03 January 2011, 16:15:34 Rodolfo Giometti wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > here my implementation of Network Virtual terminals (NVT tty)
> > according to RFC 854 and RFC 2217... actually this is the client side
> > part since as remote server I used sredird
> > (http://freshmeat.net/projects/sredird/).
>
> Sounds interesting. Could you outline the limits a bit? In one of my use
> cases, I need to support 1200 baud with a rather esoteric 7E2 serial
> setup. (Needless to say, the client is a butt ugly win app to control
> gasoline pumps, running inself in a VMware WS setup. I'm supporting
> this since ten years now, where VMware took about 4 years to get the
> serial setup right finally...) Being able to redirect the serial data
> over network (in an inexpensive, but reliable way) would make my life
> significant easier in this respect.

My code is just one halve of the game... to solve your problem you
need a server on the machine where the serial port is installed and
you need that the server itself can manage it.

Here a simple schema of the whole game (it's my testing environment
but it can explain the situation anyway):

------------------+
+---------+ |
| minicom | |
+---------+ |
| | local PC with no
v | serial ports
/dev/nvtty0 |
| |
------------------+

/\/\/\/\/\
| network |
\/\/\/\/\/

------------------+
| |
v |
+---------+ |
| sredird | |
+---------+ | remote PC with
| | serial ports
v |
/dev/ttyS0 |
| |
------------------+

embedded PC with
a serial console

As you can see the program sredird
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/sredird/) manages the real serial port
according to the commands received from nvtty0 device and it
sends/receives the serial data to/from it and the userland application
(minicom in this example) doesn't see any difference from working on a
real serial port.

Hope this is useful to you.

Ciao,

Rodolfo