Re: [patch] checkpatch: putting the && or || on the wrong line

From: Krzysztof Halasa
Date: Wed Jan 05 2011 - 12:38:44 EST

Joe Perches <joe@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> As do I, but perhaps coding style in a project like this
> shouldn't be personal but collective.

I think there is nothing like a collective style.
What you can eventually achieve is a style everybody hates.

> The trailing style outnumbers the leading style ~ 5:1.
>
> $ grep -rP --include=*.[ch] "(\|\||&&)[ \t]*$" * | wc -l
> 39890
> $ grep -rP --include=*.[ch] "^[ \t]*(\|\||&&)" * | wc -l
> 8244
>
> If you take out drivers/staging, trailing is used ~ 6:1.
>
> I think that high enough to be declared the preferred style.

This is a very weak reason (if any at all) to do so. Increasing e.g.
readability of the code would be a good reason, but statistics?

Maybe: Microsoft Windows outnumbers Linux X:1, so it should be declared
the "preferred" system (= the only allowed, as with CodingStyle and
checkpatch "errors").

Or: cars outnumber trucks X:1, declare the trucks illegal.
Coffee drinkers outnumber tee drinkers, kill the later.

Yes, we need some basic common style (tabs length, unless/until we can
use any tab length), K&R (or other) parentheses, void *var instead of
void* var (void* var1, var2 bugs), (no) spaces etc. Anything less make
the code unreadable or less readable. We should stop dictating the
details when the benefits end, and they end pretty fast.
--
Krzysztof Halasa