Re: [patch 8/8] fs: add i_op->sync_inode

From: Ted Ts'o
Date: Fri Jan 07 2011 - 13:31:00 EST

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 02:29:34AM -0500, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Btw, there's an easy way how we could get this right, in fact
> the write_inode in XFS is already trying to do it, it's just the
> caller not copying with it:
>
> - if we can't get locks for a non-blocking ->write_inode we return
> EAGAIN, and the callers sets the dirty bits again.

I like that solution; it might be one of the easier ways to maintain
backwards compatibility. Especially since (correct me if I am wrong)
the simpler file systems which always write out the inode in the case
of a non-blocking write_inode, say, like say the fat file system, are
immune from this specific problem, right?

- Ted