Re: [patch 8/8] fs: add i_op->sync_inode

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Jan 10 2011 - 22:44:46 EST

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 02:25:10AM -0500, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 03:48:36PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:
> > OK, I don't exactly see why a sync_inode with appropriate flag could
> > not solve that problem. I'll take a bit more look through nfs and
> > xfs. Thanks...
>
> We could also overload all inode operations into a single ioctl like
> method, but that doesn't make it a good design.

I've been a bit busy lately and haven't had time to continue this
discussion. Thanks for your input so far, and I'll get back to it soon.

I will try to get out a set of changes for current merge window that
fix the bulk of the problems without going into areas you disagree
with, and then we can have a smaller set of changes we to agree on for
next merge window. I will come back and reply to your points when I
get a bit more time.