Antw: Re: [RFC] i2c-algo-bit: Disable interrupts while SCL ishigh

From: Matthias Zacharias
Date: Tue Jan 11 2011 - 04:54:36 EST

Hi Jean,

Sorry for the late answer I was in christmas holidays.

>>> Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am Samstag, 18. Dezember
2010 um
00:09 in Nachricht <20101218000924.546ad703@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 13:09:54 +0100, Michael Lawnick wrote:
>> Jean Delvare said the following:
>> > Hi Ben,

disabling

>> > So you consider that even disabling interrupts for 5 us is too
long? Or
>> > are you only worried by the 50 us case?
>>
>> Sorry to disturb, but
>> <MANTRA>
>> Disabling interrupts may be done only for a few
instructions.</MANTRA>

>> Even 1 us is an eternity on modern systems.
>
> Don't be sorry, this is exactly the kind of input I was asking for.
I'm
> a little surprised, I thought disabling interrupts for a couple
> microseconds was happening all the time, but I'll trust your
> experience. Given your point and Ben's, it seems clear that my patch
is
> not acceptable as is, and at the very least I should make the
spinlock
> usage optional.
>
> High-resolution timers may be an option too, but I guess it will
> require a rewrite of the driver, and also I don't think HR timers
are
> available everywhere, so we will have to keep the old code in place
for
> compatibility.
>
> Matthias, can you please tell us whether your system supports
> high-resolution timers? I need to know if that would be a viable
> solution for you.

I don't know if in the kernel 2.6.25.4 high-resolution counters are
supported for the ARM processor we use (AT91SAM9261), but if such a
solution is possible we should evaluate.it.
We have to consider the following aspects using "i2c-gpio" and
"i2c-algo-bit" driver:
1. the hardware interface inplemented by ATMEL for SMB and I2C
communication (TWI) can't be configured to be conform with the SMBus
spezification 2.0. As result we have to use these drivers
2. the "i2c-algo-bit" functions drives directly the port pins via
"i2c-gpio" are interrupted by HW-ISR routines and as softinterrupt
service routines run in the kernel. Both lead to an unpredictable timing
in the SMBus communication (see the screenshots in my dropbox:
http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/16457261/1/I2C_2_MLX90614?h=8e2a46).
It is nearly impossible to find the reasons for these clock-strechings.
My system shows only 4 intterrupts (the frequent 2 are network- and usb-
subsystem) sources but these can't be disabled because the system gets
unfunctional.
In my opinion "i2c-algo-bit" and "i2c-gpio" drivers should be used only
if there is no or unfunctional hardware support for i2c and SMBus
available, otherwise the drivers usings hardware support should be
prefered.

--------------------
BMK electronic solut
ions GmbH
Werner-von-Siemens-Str. 6, Eingang 18 f
D-86159 Augsburg
Tel. +49 (0) 821 / 207 88 - 700
Fax +49 (0) 821 / 207 88 - 721
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
GeschÃftsfÃhrer: Dipl.-oec. Alois KnÃferle
Sitz: Augsburg
HR-Nr.: B21197
---------------------

Diese E-mail kann vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Falls Sie diese
E-Mail irrtÃmlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte unverzÃglich den
Absender und lÃschen Sie diese E-Mail von jedem Rechner, auch von den
Mailservern. Jede Verbreitung des Inhalts, auch die teilweise
Verbreitung, ist in diesem Fall untersagt. AuÃer bei Vorsatz oder grober
FahrlÃssigkeit schliessen wir jegliche Haftung fÃr Verluste oder SchÃden
aus, die durch Viren befallene Software oder E-Mails verursacht werden.

This e-mail may contain confidential information. If you received this
e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete this e-mail from
your computer, including your mailservers. Any dissemination, even
partly, is prohibited. Except in case of gross negligence or wilful
misconduct we accept no liability for any loss or damage caused by
software or e-mail viruses.