Re: [git pull] drm for rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jan 11 2011 - 14:54:53 EST

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Jesse Barnes <jbarnes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Maybe the screen just has to be inactive for a longer time: do you do
>> some dynamic "let's power things down if nothing is changing"?
>
> There are some timeouts, the FBC engine will recompress about once
> every 15s; the self-refresh timers are much smaller though so it should
> be active anytime the CPU enters a deep sleep state.  The clock
> frequency changes in millisecond time too, you can check the status of
> that in /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_drpc_status and i915_cur_delayinfo.

I assume you meant "info", not "status". If so, that doesn't look all
that interesting:

[torvalds@i5 linux]$ cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_drpc_info
HD boost: no
Boost freq: 0
HW control enabled: no
SW control enabled: no
Gated voltage change: no
Starting frequency: P0
Max P-state: P0
Min P-state: P0
RS1 VID: 0
RS2 VID: 38
Render standby enabled: yes
[torvalds@i5 linux]$ cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_cur_delayinfo
Requested P-state: 0
Requested VID: 0
Current VID: 37
Current P-state: 0

(This is in the "working state" - I rebooted because I can't stand
working with a machine that feels like a 110baud terminal).

> I wonder if re-enabling rc6 may have caused your issues?  That would be:
>
> commit 29a15061ff5df5bf9bf49c05c17f41eb2807a55a

I don't have this commit at all, it wasn't part of the merged series.

Linus