Re: [RFD] reboot / shutdown of a container

From: Daniel Lezcano
Date: Sat Jan 15 2011 - 02:54:55 EST

On 01/13/2011 09:09 PM, Bruno PrÃmont wrote:
On Thu, 13 January 2011 Daniel Lezcano<daniel.lezcano@xxxxxxx> wrote:
in the container implementation, we are facing the problem of a process
calling the sys_reboot syscall which of course makes the host to
poweroff/reboot.

If we drop the cap_sys_reboot capability, sys_reboot fails and the
container reach a shutdown state but the init process stay there, hence
the container becomes stuck waiting indefinitely the process '1' to exit.

The current implementation to make the shutdown / reboot of the
container to work is we watch, from a process outside of the container,
the<rootfs>/var/run/utmp file and check the runlevel each time the file
changes. When the 'reboot' or 'shutdown' level is detected, we wait for
a single remaining in the container and then we kill it.

That works but this is not efficient in case of a large number of
containers as we will have to watch a lot of utmp files. In addition,
the /var/run directory must *not* mounted as tmpfs in the distro.
Unfortunately, it is the default setup on most of the distros and tends
to generalize. That implies, the rootfs init's scripts must be modified
for the container when we put in place its rootfs and as /var/run is
supposed to be a tmpfs, most of the applications do not cleanup the
directory, so we need to add extra services to wipeout the files.

More problems arise when we do an upgrade of the distro inside the
container, because all the setup we made at creation time will be lost.
The upgrade overwrite the scripts, the fstab and so on.

We did what was possible to solve the problem from userspace but we
reach always a limit because there are different implementations of the
'init' process and the init's scripts differ from a distro to another
and the same with the versions.

We think this problem can only be solved from the kernel.

The idea was to send a signal SIGPWR to the parent of the pid '1' of the
pid namespace when the sys_reboot is called. Of course that won't occur
for the init pid namespace.
Wouldn't sending SIGKILL to the pid '1' process of the originating PID
namespace be sufficient (that would trigger a SIGCHLD for the parent
process in the outer PID namespace.
This is already the case. The question is : when do we send this signal ?
We have to wait for the container system shutdown before killing it.
I meant that sys_reboot() would kill the namespace's init if it's not
called from boot namespace.

See below

(as far as I remember the PID namespace is killed when its 'init' exits,
if this is not the case all other processes in the given namespace would
have to be killed as well)
Yes, absolutely but this is not the point, reaping the container is not
a problem.

What we are trying to achieve is to shutdown properly the container from
inside (from outside will be possible too with the setns syscall).

Assuming the process '1234' creates a new process in a new namespace set
and wait for it.

The new process '1' will exec /sbin/init and the system will boot up.
But, when the system is shutdown or rebooted, after the down scripts are
executed the kill -15 -1 will be invoked, killing all the processes
expect the process '1' and the caller. This one will then call
'sys_reboot' and exit. Hence we still have the init process idle and its
parent '1234' waiting for it to die.
This call to sys_reboot() would kill "new process '1'" instead of trying to
operate on the HW box.
This also has the advantage that a container would not require an informed
parent "monitoring" it from outside (though it would not be restarted even if
requested without such informed outside parent).
Oh, ok. Sorry I misunderstood.

Yes, that could be better than crossing the namespace boundaries.

If we are able to receive the information in the process '1234' : "the
sys_reboot was called in the child pid namespace", we can take then kill
our child pid. If this information is raised via a signal sent by the
kernel with the proper information in the siginfo_t (eg. si_code
contains "LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_RESTART", "LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_HALT", ... ), the
solution will be generic for all the shutdown/reboot of any kind of
container and init version.
Could this be passed for a SIGCHLD? (when namespace is reaped, and received
by 1234 from above example assuming sys_reboot() kills the "new process '1'")
Yes, that sounds a good idea.

Looks like yes, but with the need to define new values for si_code (reusing
LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_* would certainly clash, no matter which signal is choosen).
CLD_REBOOT_CMD_RESTART
CLD_REBOOT_CMD_HALT
CLD_REBOOT_CMD_POWER_OFF
I would just map both to the same thing...

CLD_REBOOT_CMD_RESTART2 (what about the cmd buffer, shall we ignore it ?)
The cmd buffer could be passed via si_ptr if we want it, otherwise it would
be the same as for CLD_REBOOT_CMD_RESTART (which would have si_ptr set to NULL
in case no si_code differentiation is needed)

CLD_REBOOT_CMD_KEXEC (?)
I don't think kexec makes any sense inside a container, such a sys_reboot()
call should probably fail or fallback to _RESTART

CLD_REBOOT_CMD_SW_SUSPEND (useful for the future checkpoint/restart)
Looks reasonable

LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_CAD_ON and LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_CAD_OFF could be disabled
for a non-init pid namespace, no ?
I haven't looked at how/when the state set by these is checked, but it could
keep its meaning and a CAD shortcut would act on the container to which the
active task on the given tty belongs. (so as if the process which would have
gotten SIGINT had issued sys_reboot(LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_RESTART), permissions
set aside)

That makes sense.

Thanks Bruno !

-- Daniel (cooking a patch ... ;)