RE: Ping? RE: [GIT PULL] mm/vfs/fs:cleancache for 2.6.37 merge window

From: Dan Magenheimer
Date: Wed Jan 19 2011 - 11:43:27 EST

> On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 11:37:47 -0700 (PDT) Dan Magenheimer
> <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Ping? I hope you are still considering this. If not or if
> > there are any questions I can answer, please let me know.
>
> What's happened here is that the patchset has gone through its
> iterations and a few people have commented and then after a while,
> nobody had anything to say about the code so nobody said anything more.
>
> But silence doesn't mean acceptance - it just means that nobody had
> anything to say.
>
> I think I looked at the earlier iterations, tried to understand the
> point behind it all, made a few code suggestions and eventually tuned
> out. At that time (and hence at this time) I just cannot explain to
> myself why we would want to merge this code.
>
> All new code is a cost/benefit decision. The costs are pretty well
> known: larger codebase, more code for us and our "customers" to
> maintain and support, etc. That the code pokes around in vfs and
> various filesystems does increase those costs a little.
>
> But the extent of the benefits to our users aren't obvious to me. The
> coe is still xen-specific, I believe? If so, that immediately reduces
> the benefit side by a large amount simply because of the reduced
> audience.
>
> We did spend some time trying to get this wired up to zram so that the
> feature would be potentially useful to *all* users, thereby setting the
> usefulness multiplier back to 1.0. But I don't recall that anything
> came of this?
>
> I also don't know how useful the code is to its intended
> micro-audience: xen users!
>
> So can we please revisit all this from the top level? Jeremy, your
> input would be valuable. Christoph, I recall that you had technical
> objections - can you please repeat those?
>
> It's the best I can do to kick this along, sorry.

Hi Andrew (and Linus) --

Time to re-open this conversation (for 2.6.39 merge window)?

Assuming GregKH approves kztmem as a staging driver, it should
now set "the usefulness multiplier back to 1.0". Kztmem
is a superset of Nitin's zcache and zram but more dynamic
and is completely independent of Xen and virtualization.

See kztmem overview: https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/1/18/170

And I believe Christoph's technical objections have all been
resolved. See longer version of previous reply here:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2010/10/30/226

So please reconsider cleancache!

Thanks,
Dan

P.S. Christoph, apologies, I see I didn't have you on the dist list
for the kztmem patch.