Re: XFS deadlock in 2.6.37

From: William Pitcock
Date: Thu Jan 20 2011 - 12:27:23 EST

Hi,

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 17:08:45 +0000 (GMT)
Malcolm Scott <lkml@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've had the following deadlock happen twice on a 2.6.37 system with
> several XFS filesystems (including root) and no swap (may be
> relevant, considering that kswapd is one task involved here). Some
> minor filesystem corruption resulted (but maybe only because the root
> fs couldn't be synced/umounted).

kswapd also handles swapping pages in and out of the filesystem cache
as part of the VM subsystem. I have a hunch that if you do a bisect
of commits relating to the VM subsystem, you will find the commit that
is causing this.

Also, are you building with BKL enabled or disabled?

William