Re: [cpuops cmpxchg double V2 1/4] Generic support forthis_cpu_cmpxchg_double

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Fri Jan 21 2011 - 11:54:34 EST

* Tejun Heo (tj@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Hello, Peter.
>
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 07:31:55AM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > I really object to passing two pointers where one of them has to be a
> > fixed offset to the other. That really doesn't make any sense.
>
> Yeah, I hear you, but it really comes down to which ugliness disgusts
> one the most. That, unfortunately, is inherently very subjective when
> there's no significantly better choice.
>
> For me, the double parameter thing at least seems to have the
> advantages of being able to verify the two intended memory locations
> to be used actually are together and looking ugly reflecting its true
> nature.
>
> The inherent ugliness stems from the fact that we don't have the
> built-in data type to properly deal with this. Array of length two
> might be better fit, but I can see as many downsides with that too.
>
> So, if anyone can give something clearly better for technical reasons,
> I'll be more than happy to take it, but as it currently stands, it
> seems we'll have to choose one among uglies and not everyone would be
> happy about the choice. :-(

Quoting Christoph, from the previous exchange:

"The single large 128 bit scalar does not work. Having to define an
additional structure it also a bit clumsy. I think its best to get another
patchset out that also duplicates the first parameter and makes the percpu
variable specs conform to the other this_cpu ops."

I'm again probably missing something, but what is "clumsy" about defining a
structure like the following to ensure proper alignment of the target
pointer (instead of adding a runtime test) ?

struct cmpxchg_double {
#if __BYTE_ORDER == __LITTLE_ENDIAN
unsigned long low, high;
#else
unsigned long high, low;
#endif
} __attribute__((packed, aligned(2 * sizeof(unsigned long))));

(note: packed here along with "aligned" does _not_ generate ugly bytewise
read/write memory ops like "packed" alone. The use of "packed" is to let the
compiler down-align the structure to the value requested, instead of uselessly
aligning it on 32-byte if it chooses to.)

The prototype could then look like:

bool __this_cpu_generic_cmpxchg_double(pcp, oval_low, oval_high, nval_low, nval_high);

With:
struct cmpxchg_double *pcp

I think Christoph's point is that he wants to alias this with a pointer. Well,
this can be done cleanly with:

union {
struct cmpxchg_double casdbl;
struct {
void *ptr;
unsigned long cpuid_tid;
} t;
}

So by keeping distinct variables for the oval/nal arguments, we let the compiler
use registers (instead of the mandatory stack use that would be required if we
pass union or structures as oval/nval arguments), but we ensure proper alignment
(and drop the unneeded second pointer, as well as the runtime pointer alignment
checks) by passing one single pcp pointer of a fixed type with a known
alignment.

Thoughts ?

Mathieu

--