Re: Linux 2.6.38-rc1

From: Török Edwin
Date: Sun Jan 23 2011 - 03:13:29 EST

On 2011-01-19 04:07, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> It's been two weeks, and the merge window for 2.6.38 is thus closed.
>
> Oh, and it looks like mirroring from master.kernel.org is being very
> slow

I think that pulling from kernel.org became slower too. (not sure
exactly when but probably since about a year).

When I run git pull, it just sits there for a long time, with no visible
network/disk I/O, and only after that it starts the "remote: Counting
objects" phase.
I just tried to measure that time and it is ~12s now, which is not that
bad, but I remember that I even had to wait minutes to see the "Counting
objects" phase in December.

Is it because git on the server side needs to figure out which objects I
already have and which I don't? But I thought thats part of the
"Counting objects" phase, so what happens before that, and why are there
no progress messages about it?

Best regards,
--Edwin