Re: 2.6.36/2.6.37: broken compatibility with userspace input-utils?

From: Mark Lord
Date: Tue Jan 25 2011 - 00:16:10 EST

On 11-01-25 12:07 AM, Mark Lord wrote:
> On 11-01-25 12:04 AM, Mark Lord wrote:
..
>> The EVIOCGKEYCODE ioctl is supposed to return KEY_RESERVED for unmapped
>> (but value) keycodes, and only return -EINVAL when the keycode itself
>> is out of range.
>>
>> That's how it worked in all kernels prior to 2.6.36,
>> and now it is broken. It now returns -EINVAL for any unmapped keycode,
>> even though keycodes higher than that still have mappings.

Actually, what changed could be something different:
it's possible that this bug was always there,
and older kernels had a more complete default keymap
for the remote than that in 2.6.36+, thereby never
triggering the bug. But I don't know that, and my best
efforts to-date to locate any of this in the kernel
have been futile. Oh well. :)