Re: [patch] kconfig: unify GENERIC_ISA_DMA and ISA_DMA_API

From: Russell King - ARM Linux
Date: Wed Jan 26 2011 - 06:31:20 EST

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 05:06:28PM -0800, David Rientjes wrote:
> CONFIG_GENERIC_ISA_DMA and CONFIG_ISA_DMA_API usually have dependencies
> on one another depending on the architecture and generic kernel code uses
> either to determine whether an ISA-style DMA API is configured.

Wrong.

GENERIC_ISA_DMA enables support for the standard ISA DMA allocator found
in kernel/dma.c

ISA_DMA_API says that a platform supports the ISA DMA interfaces.

An architecture can provide the ISA DMA interfaces, but not use the
standard ISA DMA allocator found in kernel/dma.c. Such as the one in
arch/arm/kernel/dma.c.

So on ARM, we have platforms where ISA_DMA_API=y but GENERIC_ISA_DMA=n.

> This patch unifies both options and consolidates them into a single
> option: CONFIG_GENERIC_ISA_DMA. It is also a prerequisite for a 1% text
> savings for a future x86 patch that allows these options to be disabled
> on that architecture when CONFIG_ZONE_DMA also becomes configurable.

NAK. This is wrong.