Re: 2.6.36/2.6.37: broken compatibility with userspace input-utils ?

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Wed Jan 26 2011 - 14:38:17 EST

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 02:31:44PM -0500, Mark Lord wrote:
> On 11-01-26 11:44 AM, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:05:57AM -0500, Mark Lord wrote:
> ..
> >> Nope. Does not work here:
> >>
> >> $ lsinput
> >> protocol version mismatch (expected 65536, got 65537)
> >>

> > It would be much more helpful if you tried to test what has been fixed
> > (hint: version change wasn't it).
>
> It would be much more helpful if you would revert that which was broken
> in 2.6.36. (hint: version was part of it).

No, version change will not be reverted as we do not have a way to
validate whether new ioctls are supported. The older kernels are
returning -EINVAL for unknown evdev ioctls so userspace can't know
if ioctl failed because it is unsupported or because arguments are
wrong/not applicable for the underlying device.

> The other part does indeed appear to work with the old binary for input-kbd,
> but the binary for lsinput still fails as above.

Great, then I'' include the fix for RC keytables in my next pull
request. I guess it should go to stable as well.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry