Re: 2.6.36/2.6.37: broken compatibility with userspace input-utils?

From: Mark Lord
Date: Fri Jan 28 2011 - 16:03:20 EST

On 11-01-28 03:55 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
> On 11-01-28 11:42 AM, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> ..

>>> See if adjusting /etc/security/limits.conf will enable it to dump core.
>>> Otherwise you'll have to stick 'ulimit -c unlimited' somewhere...
> ..
>> Any luck with getting the core? I'd really like to resolve this issue.
> ..
>
> I'm upgrading the box to new userspace now.
> But I still have the old installation drive,
> so perhaps I'll go there now and try this.
>
> My plan is to replace /usr/bin/ir-keytable with a script
> that issues the 'ulimit -c unlimited' command and then
> invokes the original /usr/bin/ir-keytable binary.
>
> Should take half an hour or so before I get back here again.

No-go. According to the syslog, the segfault has not happened
since I reconfigured the kernel and startup sequence two days
ago to resolve an XFS mount issue.

Something in there changed the init timing just enough to make
it go away, I believe.

Now I'm blowing it all away in favour of fresh userspace,
with a whole new set of issues to resolve. :)

Off-Topic:
Ubuntu (Mythbuntu) really has a ton of timing issues with
this upstart thing at startup and shutdown.. running from an SSD
really exposes the flaws.

Cheers