Re: One (possible) x86 get_user_pages bug

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Sun Jan 30 2011 - 08:02:19 EST

On 01/27/2011 08:27 PM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
And even just considering virtualization, having non-IPI-based tlb
shootdown is a measurable performance win, since a hypervisor can
optimise away a cross-VCPU shootdown if it knows no physical TLB
contains the target VCPU's entries. I can imagine the KVM folks could
get some benefit from that as well.

It's nice to avoid the IPI (and waking up a cpu if it happens to be asleep) but I think the risk of deviating too much from the baremetal arch is too large, as demonstrated by this bug.

(well, async page faults is a counterexample, I wonder if/when it will bite us)