Re: [RFC Patch] virtio: export model and type in /sys

From: Cong Wang
Date: Mon Jan 31 2011 - 00:46:12 EST

(Adding Neil into Cc.)

ä 2011å01æ31æ 12:05, Rusty Russell åé:
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 01:23:00 pm Amerigo Wang wrote:
Our kdump script needs /sys/block/X/device/{vendor, model, type},
but virtio devices don't have {model, type}, this patch adds them.
Actually, I don't know how to fill the model field, other block devices
seem read it from SCSI. Any comments?

This seems deeply wrong. Can't you fix your script?

Well, we use (vendor, model, type) to identify a disk, and so far we only
see virtio devices don't have this. So, we hope virtio at least provides
some dummy files for us.

Model might sanely map to the feature bits, but making the type the same
as the PCI type is weird...

Yeah, that is why I mark the patch as RFC, I don't know which is the correct way
to fill these two values. Providing some dummy values is also fine for us.

Thanks.