Re: process exception

From: Manish Katiyar
Date: Mon Jan 31 2011 - 17:36:45 EST

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Sri Ram Vemulpali
<sri.ram.gmu06@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  This is regarding segment fault. Is there any feature that we can
> allow kernel to kill only the thread that generate seg fault rather
> than killing whole process in which it is running. Why is that we did
> not implement in such way. Is there any specific reason. Thanks in
> advance for explanation.

What is the guarantee that whole process isn't hosed up ? For example
let's say a global pointer became NULL and we died accessing it from 1
of the threads. I'm not sure if it would be better to have 'N'
coredumps as opposed to just 1.

--
Thanks -
Manish