Re: Checkpatch problem with Kconfig help symbol ?

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Mon Jan 31 2011 - 18:00:30 EST

Tomas Winkler <tomasw@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> Yeah that is a little better. ÂI do remind you that if the description
>> is good enough shorter than 4 lines then you can ignore checkpatch. ÂIt
>> is a style guide not a style enforcer. ÂYou are allowed to ignore things
>> if you can justify it.
>
> Please consider patch I've posted
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=129647530611677&w=2

I originally didn't put in the number intentionally to make
it harder to game it. Most likely for a whole driver
or whole subsystems 4 lines are not enough to describe
it properly.

But yes if it's just for a debug feature you can ignore it.
But then most likely your debug feature shouldn't be
in Kconfig in the first place, but some runtime setting

(rule of thumb: if it controls less than 1KB of code it's
likely a bad idea in Kconfig)

And more complex debug features that do actually carry
significant code should have proper description.

I think a better change would be to describe this
more fully, not add the number.

-Andi
--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only