Re: Locking in the clk API, part 2: clk_prepare/clk_unprepare

From: Saravana Kannan
Date: Tue Feb 01 2011 - 15:33:16 EST

On 02/01/2011 07:24 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
A simpler way to write this is:

int clk_prepare(struct clk *clk)
{
int ret = 0;

mutex_lock(&clk->mutex);
if (clk->prepared == 0)
ret = clk->ops->prepare(clk);
if (ret == 0)
clk->prepared++;
mutex_unlock(&clk->mutex);

return ret;
}

I think we want to take a common mutex not only for clk_prepare(), but
also for clk_set_rate(). If prepare() is waiting for a PLL to lock,
we don't want a set_rate() interfering with that.

Looks like this is the best acknowledgment/response I can expect to get from Russell on this point that I raised.

Jeremy,

When you update the comments/doc to indicate clk_prepare/unprepare is not atomic, can you also update the comment for set_rate() and mark it as non-atomic?

Thanks for starting this thread. My efforts to reignite the other thread didn't go anywhere. Glad to see it's moving forward.

I'd also be tempted at this stage to build-in a no-op dummy clock,
that being the NULL clk:
[snip]
as we have various platforms defining a dummy struct clk as a way of
satisfying various driver requirements. These dummy clocks are exactly
that - they're complete no-ops.

Unrelated to this thread, but I Ack this request too.

-Saravana