Re: kernel 2.6.37 : oops in cleanup_once

From: Eric Dumazet
Date: Wed Feb 02 2011 - 09:53:43 EST

Le mercredi 02 fÃvrier 2011 Ã 14:08 +0100, Yann Dupont a Ãcrit :
> Le 02/02/2011 12:24, Eric Dumazet a Ãcrit :
> > Le mercredi 02 fÃvrier 2011 Ã 11:52 +0100, Eric Dumazet a Ãcrit :
> >> Le mercredi 02 fÃvrier 2011 Ã 09:53 +0100, Yann Dupont a Ãcrit :
> > oops, 2.6.37 "only"
> >
> >> Yes this is a known problem.
> >>
> >> Please try commit 3408404a4c2a4eead9d73b0bbbfe3f225b65f492
> >> (inetpeer: Use correct AVL tree base pointer in inet_getpeer())
> >>
> >> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=3408404a4c2a4eead9d73b0bbbfe3f225b65f492
> >>
> >> I believe David will send it to stable team shortly, if not already
> >> done :)
> > Please ignore, this patch was for linux-2.6 tree, 2.6.37 was not
> > affected by the problem.
> >
> > So its another problem... Is there anything particular you do on this
> > machine ?
> >

> Nothing really special there, we run a lot (20) of KVM guest (mainly
> linux firewalls for lots of differents vlan), so we have a lot of
> bridges vlan & tun/tap.
> Oh, and CONFIG_BRIDGE_IGMP_SNOOPING is set to n (because of the other
> bug already sent to netdev - more to come on next mail)
>
> Hard to say if this BUG is new in 2.6.37. This host was running fine
> with 2.6.34.2 since August 2010.
> Bisecting will be hard due to the time to trigger the bug (and the fact
> that this machine is a production machine)
>
> Anyway, I can test with a specific kernel version if you suspect something.

I suspect a mem corruption from another layer (not inetpeer)

Unfortunately many kmem caches share the "64 bytes" cache.

Could you please add "slub_nomerge" on your boot command ?

This way, we can separate corruptions on each cache.

On your crash, one inetpeer contain garbage on unused_lists next/prev
pointers :

RCX: 0000000000000005
RDX: 0b000209f1beadde

Definitly something overwrote these values with non pointers values.