Re: 2.6.38-rc3 regression on parisc: segfaults

From: John David Anglin
Date: Fri Feb 04 2011 - 11:17:21 EST

> > This is possibly the infamous COW bug.
>
> The COW bug that is triggered by a COW from an LWS-CAS? The solution
> to which is to use locks around the LWS-CAS even on UP? I'd forgotten
> about this issue actually, I should push that patch out to James.

I was actually thinking of the fork/clone race for which there are various
testcases on the wiki. The aptitude segv is with a SMP kernel, so I don't
think this is the UP LWS_CAS issue. However, I agree you should push
the change.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin dave.anglin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
National Research Council of Canada (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)