Re: Heads up Linux 2.6.38-rc4 compile problems.

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Feb 08 2011 - 15:45:19 EST

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Eric W. Biederman
<ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A quick heads up.  2.6.38-rc4 looks like the worst kernel I've ever tried to
> test.  It boots up properly and looks ok, but I can't get it to even
> compile the programs I usually test with. 2.6.38-rc3 at least managed
> that yesterday.

gcc dying with ICE or SIGSEGV? Or what? Seriously lacking information here.

Are you using btrfs or cifs (the two filesystems that had
bigger-than-average changes)?

Any chance to bisect it (even if just partially - a couple of
bisection runs would already narrow it down quite a bit)?

> From 2.6.38-rc3 I managed to figure out that tftp transfers over ipv6
> with curl are dying in with a getpeername problem.

Hmm. Adding Davem for that one, although I'd expect you to be able to
figure out some networking problem on your own and perhaps give a
better report?

Linus