Re: [RFC,PATCH 1/3] Add a common struct clk

From: Ryan Mallon
Date: Thu Feb 10 2011 - 05:11:17 EST

On 10/02/11 23:03, Richard Zhao wrote:
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 09:21:14AM +1300, Ryan Mallon wrote:
On 02/09/2011 07:41 PM, Jeremy Kerr wrote:

Hi Jeremy,

Couple more comments below.

~Ryan

[...]
+int clk_enable(struct clk *clk)
+{
+ unsigned long flags;
+ int ret = 0;
+
+ spin_lock_irqsave(&clk->enable_lock, flags);
WARN_ON(clk->prepare_count == 0); ?

+ if (clk->enable_count == 0&& clk->ops->enable)
+ ret = clk->ops->enable(clk);
Does it make sense to have a clock with no enable function which still
returns success from clk_enable? Do we have any platforms which have
NULL clk_enable functions?

I think that for enable/disable at least we should require platforms to
provide functions and oops if they have failed to do so. In the rare
case that a platform doesn't need to do anything for enable/disable they
can just supply empty functions.
It's possible to be NULL. So are set_rate/get_rate.
Ideally, if it's NULL:
prepare/unprepare: only call parent's prepare/unprepare
enable/disable: only call parent's enable/disable

No, the whole point of the generic framework is that _all_ clock users must call prepare/enable and disable/unprepare. Drivers, etc should not rely on underlying knowledge of a platform. This is why, for instance, clk_enable will warn if prepare count is zero.

However, I can see that a clock may be fully enabled by its prepare function and so the enable function is a no-op. User must still call both prepare and enable though. Perhaps this is what you meant?

~Ryan