Re: [regression][2.6.38-rcX][net][iwlagn] WiFi signal after period of time tanks causing contant drops

From: Shawn Starr
Date: Thu Feb 10 2011 - 22:08:13 EST

On Thursday, February 10, 2011 07:16:24 AM wwguy wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 23:15 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > (cc linux-wireless)
> >
> > On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 22:54 -0500 Shawn Starr <shawn.starr@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > > Using a Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN [Shiloh] card after
> > > rebooting and a period of of seveal hours signal begins to drop to
> > > low levels:
> > >

> > > wlan0 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:"XXXXXXXX"
> > >
> > > Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point:
> > > AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF Bit Rate=11 Mb/s
> > > Tx-Power=15 dBm
> > > Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment
> > > thr:off
> > > Power Management:off
> > > Link Quality=12/70 Signal level=-98 dBm
> > > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx
> > > invalid frag:0
> > > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:35 Missed
> > > beacon:0

> > > Link Quality=12/70 Signal level=-98 dBm
> > > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx
> > > invalid frag:0
> > > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:40 Missed
> > > beacon:0
> > >
> > > I start seeing lots of Invalid misc errors and connection drops. If
> > > I reboot, then signal will be back to normal for a period of time
> > > again.
> > >
> > > My official kernel is from Fedora rawhide
> > > (2.6.38-0.rc3.git4.1.fc15.x86_64)
> > >
> > > Anyone else notice poor link/signal levels?
> > >
> > > .37 showed no such issues.
>
> did not see anything special from the log, is any environment or
> condition changed? what AP you are using?
>
> Thanks
> Wey

I'm using an Linksys WRT54G with tomato firmware for a number of years. The AP
is in my house and very close. I will keep an eye on this. This all seemed to
have started after we had a power outage. The AP is fine however and I haven't
noticed this drop a 2 after.

If there was any environment changes they appear to have 'settled' down.

I will be going to 2.6.38-0.rc4.git0.1.fc15 right now and will do another long
hour test by keeping the laptop on for a number of hours on the weekend.

Thanks,
Shawn.