Re: SMBIOS / DMI Event Logs in Linux?

From: Mike Waychison
Date: Fri Feb 11 2011 - 13:56:46 EST

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:00:37AM -0800, Mike Waychison wrote:
>> resend as plain text, sorry :(
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Wait, if this is just a simple "pass through to the hardware", then just
>> > export the thing, with the proper permissions, in a single binary sysfs
>> > file, and do the parsing in userspace.
>> >

>> If you mean s/hardware/firmware/, then yes.
>
> Yes, sorry, that is what I ment.
>
>> > That would be the simplest thing to do, and fit the rules for valid
>> > sysfs files, and keep people from having to dig through /dev/mem, right?
>>
>> Yup, exposing the log via a bin_attribute and allowing for blobs to be
>> appended (with the firmware either accepting or rejecting the format
>> will do).
>
> Great, that should be a simple thing to do then, right?

Ya. Here's what I'm working on now:

/sys/firmware/gsmi/eventlog
- read: reads out binary bytes of the log as exported by firmware.
- write: takes the user buffer and passes it on to the firmware via
a SET_EVENT_LOG command and returns a mapped errno to the user.

/sys/firmware/gsmi/clear_eventlog
- write-only: takes a value between 0 and 100 and passes it to the
firmware to clear out a percentage of the log.

/sys/firmware/gsmi/clear_config
- write-only: takes arbitrary data and tells the firmware to wipe it's config.

/sys/firmware/gsmi/vars (directory)
- same code as /sys/firmware/efi/vars except firmware calls vector
through gsmi instead of the EFI runtime services page (I've
abstracted it out for re-use)

This covers the gsmi driver and removes the ioctls completely from it.

I've already changed the "memconsole" driver I sent out a while ago to
export itself as an untouched binary file /sys/firmware/log .

The only bit that remains that needs cleaning is the 'bootlog' driver.
I'm going to work with Robert offline (or online if he wants to
follow up here) with what "proper" kernel interfaces should look like
for his purposes.