Re: Patch "sched: Give CPU bound RT tasks preference" has been addedto the 2.6.32-longterm tree

From: Jiri Slaby
Date: Wed Feb 16 2011 - 03:55:20 EST

On 02/16/2011 09:25 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Mike Galbraith <efault@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 18:02 -0500, Steven Rostedt wrote:
>>> [ Added LKML ]

>>> I don't mind this patch being added to the long term tree. But I'm
>>> curious about what is the criteria for adding changes to it? This is a
>>> performance improvement and not a critical bug fix.
>>
>> Yes, I added it for the performance. .32-stable is enterprise beans and
>> biscuits. Same reason I added the load balancing fixes, boxen won't
>> explode without them, but load balancing performs better with them.
>
> We try to concentrate on regression fixes though.

Hi, I cannot fully agree with this. The question is who are "we" here?
If every packager using this stable tree is forced by users/customers to
take it anyway, it's better to have it in stable.

It has several reasons:
* It will have an eye of experts on them. Not that at distro providers
there are no experts, but the authors who are cced here know definitely
the code better.
* Not every packager has to duplicate others work.
* The stable tree changes constantly. Managing hundreds of patches
applied to a stable tree before kernels are being packaged is thus
sometimes a hell. Reducing this number is a good thing(TM).

regards,
--
js