Re: 2.6.38-rc2: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 2d on CPU 0.

From: Cyrill Gorcunov
Date: Wed Feb 16 2011 - 04:33:41 EST

On 2/16/11, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > That's not really acceptable - need to fix it or revert it to the last
>> > working
>> > state. Which commit broke it?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Ingo
>> >

>> I can't say you the commit id after which unknown-nmi start happening
>> (i'm out of git tree
>> at moment) but even then this commit should not be reverted since the
>> problem is in
>> p4 code not in the rest of perf system.
>>
>> I have two patches here (attached) and would really appreciate of
>> their testing on HT machine
>> together with kgdb bootup tests enabled. Dave could you please?
>
> Could these patches fix Dave's non-kgdb problem? Dave isnt using kgdb but is
> probably using perf which triggers NMIs? Dave, can you confirm that?
>
> And it's a spurious NMI message, not actual lockup or other misbehavior,
> right?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ingo

For nonkgdb case 'unflagged nmi fix' patch should be enough. i've
tested it on non-ht machine by self. without it there is no lockup
but only a message about unknown nmi.

for hr-machine with kgdb the things go harder, Don reported lockup on
boot. The second patch might help but i cant test it (here i need help
in testing)