KSM kernel interface

From: supercilious . dude
Date: Fri Feb 18 2011 - 23:10:14 EST

Hi,

Is there a way to enable KSM globally for all eligible pages in the system such that applications need not call madvise() themselves? If not, is there a way to do so on behalf of a particular application without an ugly LD_PRELOAD hack?

Perhaps there is a small kernel modification that might make this possible or provide a sysfs flag that enables it (off by default of course)?

I read through the code very briefly, and as far as I can tell, I need to add the VM_MERGEABLE flag to all eligible VMAs at the time they are created and also __ksm_enter() the associated mm_struct at creation also. Would that work?

Thanks