Re: Multicast snooping fixes and suggestions

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Feb 23 2011 - 22:17:30 EST

On 02/15/2011 03:19 PM, Linus LÃssing wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> While testing the (very awesome!) bridge igmp/mld snooping support I came across
> two issues which are breaking IPv6 multicast snooping and IPv6
> non-link-local multicast on bridges with multicast snooping support enabled
> in general. The first two patches shall fix these issues.
>
> The third one addresses a potential bug on little endian machines which I noticed
> during this little code reviewing. This patch is untested though, feedback welcome.
>
> The fourth and fifth patch are a suggestion to also permit using the bridge multicast
> snooping feature for link local multimedia multicast traffic. Therefore
> using the transient multicast flag instead of the non-link-local scope criteria
> seems to be a suitable solution at least for IPv6, in my opinion. Let me know what
> you think about it.

Hello,

I have just noticed that when using a Linux bridge, IPv6 often fails to
configure until some considerable time has passed, presumably some kind
of retry timer. The dmesg shows:

[178292.449300] br0: port 1(eth0) entering learning state
[178292.449304] br0: port 1(eth0) entering learning state
[178302.536098] br0: no IPv6 routers present
[178307.416139] br0: port 1(eth0) entering forwarding state

... even though there is a configured and active IPv6 router on the network.

I have also seen some serious delays with DHCPv4 which presumably is due
to lost packets during bridge learning.

Are these packets likely to address that situation (or am I just plain
doing something stupid)?

-hpa