Question about the vmlinuz file

From: Alvaro Aguilera
Date: Sat Feb 26 2011 - 07:49:00 EST

Hello,

perhaps someone here has a couple of minutes to explain me the
difference between these two vmlinuz files from different
distributions:

$file /boot/vmlinuz
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37-40-desktop: Linux/x86 Kernel, Setup Version
0x20a, bzImage, Version 2.6.37, Version 2.6.37-40, RO-rootFS, root_dev
0x301, swap_dev 0x4, Normal VGA

$file /boot/vmlinuz
vmlinuz: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, AMD x86-64, version 1, stripped

the second file seems to be in ELF format and I cannot use it with my
cluster management software.

Is there a parameter I can use to compile the kernel image in one
format or the other? or a tool to convert them?

I couldn't find any hint on Google, nor I really know what exactly to look for.

Thanks for any help.
Alvaro.