Network link detection

From: Nico Schümann
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 14:58:23 EST

Dear kernel developers,

currently I'm looking for a way to find out whether a network link went
down or up. Of course there is mii-tool, which can watch devices, too.

So for now, I created a small program that polls the MII_LINK_OK
flag with the SIOCGMIIREG ioctl - the same thing that mii-tools does.
But polling that often for a link change that occurs maybe once in a
month sounds like waste of energy.

Unfortunately, I was not able to find out a way to be notified about
link status changes asynchronously. Is there a way? I'm looking for
something like "inotify for link states".

There are some debug outputs as in drivers/net/natsemi.c:1672
printk(KERN_NOTICE "%s: link up.\n", dev->name);
so it would be quite easy to insert a notification.

If there is no way yet to get these notifications asynchronosly, would
there be real use for it or am I just missing something?

Thanks,

Nico