Re: regression - 2.6.36 -> 2.6.37 - kvm - 32bit SMP guests don'tboot

From: Zachary Amsden
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 15:47:43 EST

On 03/03/2011 02:06 AM, Nikola Ciprich wrote:
No worries. What mess?
twice sending the same mail, nevermind :)

I have two things you can try:

first is running a single VCPU guest, if you have not done so already.
yup, UP guest is fine, just SMP doesn't work.

Second is adding the bootparameter "clocksource=acpi_pm" to your guest
kernel.
yes, this makes SMP work too! I just realized when You were asking about current
clocksource, I told You only host source, not the guest. So I checked now,
and (at least for UP, I guess for SMP it's the same), the clocksource is
kvm-clock! So seems like it got broken with the TSC changes?

What is the exact kernel version you are using in the guest.

It appears that some earlier 32-bit versions of kvm-clock enabled kernels are still missing the required atomic check for backwards-time protection which would be needed on SMP. This explains why 64-bit is fine, 32-bit is not.

Why this change triggers that problem still is a slight mystery, logically it should only affect the system if you have an unstable TSC.

Zach