Re: [RFC] st_nlink after rmdir() and rename()

From: Al Viro
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 18:07:38 EST

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 10:57:02PM +0000, Al Viro wrote:
> * inotify is broken for filesystems that don't get you zero ->i_nlink
> when the last dentry pointing to doomed inode is dropped. Regardless of what
> you get in fstat(). Excusable for remote fs, but not nice for local ones.
> I'd *LOVE* to get rid of inotife/dnotify/etc., but it's probably not feasible
> now.
> * NFS is not hard to handle, actually, especially for directories.
> Regular files may be trickier, but then we have many places in that area
> where NFS is not quite POSIX-compliant, to put it mildly.

To clarify: I don't particulary _care_ if NFS breaks something like inotify,
as long as it can't be used to do nasty things to kernel itself. And I'm
not at all sure if I care about st_nlink there at all, directory or
non-directory. Again, NFS has enough weirdness wrt opened-but-unlinked
files anyway and will remain weird by design.