Renicing for OpenGL smoothness.

From: Uwaysi Bin Kareem
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 22:36:52 EST

Hiya. I'm sitting here playing some OpenGL games, and thinking, isn't it rude of processes demanding the same amount of cpu, when I am here, wanting the smoothest possible OpenGL experience.

So I am renicing. But my knowledge of the kernel is limited. So I was thinking, maybe some of you could inform me, which processes are involved in getting the graphics on-screen.

I have already started making a renicing script.

---

highpri=-20;
lowpri=19;
for pid in `pgrep ""`; do renice -n $lowpri -p $pid; done #ubuntu runs a lot of processes that can be put in the background.
for pid in `pgrep "init"`; do renice -n $highpri -p $pid; done #probably good to have high priority?
for pid in `pgrep "kthreadd"`; do renice -n $highpri -p $pid; done #does drivers or anything else create kernel threads that are involved in the graphics on-screen?
for pid in `pgrep "ksoftirq"`; do renice -n $highpri -p $pid; done #surely these are?
for pid in `pgrep "X"`; do renice -n $highpri -p $pid; done
for pid in `pgrep "metacity"`; do renice -n $highpri -p $pid; done
for pid in `pgrep "hd-audio0"`; do renice -n $highpri -p $pid; done

--
Comments and information appreciated.