Re: Per iocontext request descriptor limits (Was: Re: RFC: defaultgroup_isolation to 1, remove option)

From: Vivek Goyal
Date: Fri Mar 04 2011 - 16:32:07 EST

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 12:01:41PM +0100, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 2011-03-03 19:03, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 11:57:17AM -0500, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> >
> > [..]
> >>
> >> Great. I am hoping once you get some free time, you will cleanup and post
> >> that patch.
> >
> > Hmmm..., Now I got interested in this stuff. In case you would like to see
> > your patch to be in and finding it hard to find time to clean it up, I can
> > do that and repost and also fix any bugs.
>
> I did an initial run on the plane:
>
> http://git.kernel.dk/?p=linux-2.6-block.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/for-2.6.39/ioc-rq-alloc
>
> Not tested at all, so there are likely a few bugs. Congestion is gone,
> we'll need to consider that. Before the device was either congested or
> not congested, now the question to ask would be "is the device congested
> for ME" as the answer will depend on who is asking.

Thanks Jens. I was having a quick look and noticed that ioc->count[] state
is global across queues. I guess what we want is to keep track of ioc
state per queue (something like cfq_io_context). By maintaining per device
state in ioc, we can also tell whether a particular ioc is congested or
not on a specific device.

Thanks
Vivek