Re: [regression] 2.6.37-post-rc7 with radeon kms: reproducably locks up hard when using desktop cube of kwin

From: Martin Steigerwald
Date: Tue Mar 08 2011 - 12:16:17 EST

<Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Its rainy again in Sevilla...

> > > Attached. I have dmesgs available as well. Both kernels are mainly
> > > upstream. The 2.6.37 contains some recursive mtime patches from Jan
> > > for Ext3/4 that are very likely unrelated. For 2.6.38 I am testing
> > > too hibernation patches from Raphael, but the lockup also happened
> > > with a plain vanilla 2.6.38 one before.

> > Okay can you try using an xorg.conf with Option "pageflip" "false"
> > set in it for the radeon.
>
> That should be
>
> Option "EnablePageFlip" "false"

So the desktop cube runs absolutely stable with 2.6.38 when I disable page
flipping. The hang just happens with enabled page flipping. But beside the
desktop cube I had no other hang with page flipping enabled.

If its not related to exact gfx chip, it should be easily reproducable:

- install kwin

- kwin --replace your current window manager

- make sure composoting is enabled if it isn't

- Ctrl-Alt-F11, maybe hang happens on the second time, not on the first,
but hang should happen quite reproducably

My compositing settings are:

martin@shambhala:~> grep -A 13 "\[Compositing\]" ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc
[Compositing]
AnimationSpeed=3
Backend=OpenGL
CheckIsSafe=true
DisableChecks=true
Enabled=true
GLDirect=true
GLMode=TFP
GLTextureFilter=2
GLVSync=true
HiddenPreviews=5
OpenGLIsUnsafe=false
XRenderSmoothScale=false

(I disabled checks whether compositing is performant or safe enough
sometime ago, as KWin did not enable compositing otherwise, maybe due to
performance reasons. But from what I know OpenGL compositing should be
pretty safe on my chipset.)

Thanks,