Re: [PWM v6 1/3] PWM: Implement a generic PWM framework

From: Bill Gatliff
Date: Wed Mar 09 2011 - 11:19:16 EST

Jack:

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Jack Stone <jwjstone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It's up to you, of course, but I don't see why I would want to choose.

It isn't that I want users to be able to choose between GENERIC_PWM
and the platform-specific PWM; it's that I want to have the option of
doing PWM, or not. Once a machine/platform is converted over to
GENERIC_PWM, there won't be any going back.

> It makes life much easier for users if they only have to support one way
> of talking to PWM devices and any device can be connected to any user,
> with appropriate connections provided by platform data.

Right. That's the vision, in fact. But I don't have the manpower to
do a complete conversion to GENERIC_PWM all at once, so I'm trying to
take it in stages. Introduce the generic API first, and then switch
machines/platforms over to it one at a time.

> It seems much simpler to me to always use it in appropriate
> drivers/users and therefore if the person configuring the kernel does
> not have to know anything new and the support will only be included if
> needed.

Right.

It isn't that I want users to be able to decide between the "new PWM"
and "old PWM" APIs; it's that I want them to be able to turn PWM
support on or off at compile time.

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff