Re: [GIT] Networking

From: David Miller
Date: Thu Mar 10 2011 - 18:55:23 EST

From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 15:49:40 -0800

> Grr. This has been going on for too long. Don't do it. Don't do random
> backwards merges without explanations, and with the actual source data
> removed.
>
> We're _really_ good at doing commit messages, and the kernel commit
> log should be a great example to other projects. But in the last week
> or so, I've now _twice_ had to flame core developers for making
> totally useless commit messages.
>
> So don't do back-merges. And if you DO do back-merges, don't make the
> commit message totally useless.
>
> You can use either 'git commit --amend" to fix the message afterwards
> and explain WHY you did the stupid thing, or you can just do "git pull
> --no-commit" to not actually commit the merge and then write your
> commit message as you do it. But preferably you shouldn't do the
> back-merges at all.

I'm sorry about this, won't happen again.

I should have put:

Merge to get commit 8909c9ad8ff03611c9c96c9a92656213e4bb495b
("net: don't allow CAP_NET_ADMIN to load non-netdev kernel modules")
so that we can add Stephen Hemminger's fix to handle ip6 tunnels
as well, which uses the MODULE_ALIAS_NETDEV() macro created by
that change.

Again, sorry.