Re: [GIT] Networking

From: Dave Airlie
Date: Thu Mar 10 2011 - 19:40:31 EST

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Oh well. Water under the bridge. I think I'll try --no-ff this once,
>> despite my misgivings about the concept.
>
> Oh wow. That really does end up looking odd. I know some other git
> projects use --no-ff, but I don't think we've ever had them in the
> kernel, and I've never see the graph look like that before.
>
> But it did allow me to add an explanation for what happened, so maybe
> it's worth it.

I didn't realise we weren't meant to --no-ff, I've been lately using
--no-ff --log
so I can keep track of what I merged easier, when someone bases something on my
tree and I haven't moved it in a while.

Though I suppose author/committer info should tell me this I've found
having the logs
at least a bit useful.

Dave.