2.6.38-rc echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches repairs mplayer distortions

From: Hans de Bruin
Date: Mon Mar 14 2011 - 18:30:11 EST

Since the start of the start of 2.6.38-rc I sporadic have problems with mplayer. A mpeg stream sometimes gets distorted when mplayer starts. An example is at http://www.xs4all.nl/~bruinjm/mplayer.png . I do not know how to trigger the behaviour, so bissecting is not possible. Since yesterday however I found a way to 'repair' mplayer:

echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

This repairs mplayer while it is running. My latop is runs on nfsroot, and the mpegstreams are payed over nfs or http. I can have two instances of mplayer running the same mpeg stream over nfs or http with only one instance distorded.

--
Hans