Re: [GIT] Networking

From: J. Bruce Fields
Date: Tue Mar 15 2011 - 10:37:20 EST

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 08:52:40AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> But it wont, as the fix will still be brought in at a later time. It has
> nothing to do with being based off of the broken commit.
>
> A +
> + merged in fix
> B + \
> | |
> | |
> | |
> Lots of | |
> stuff | |
> | |
> | |
> | + - fix for bug
> | /
> Bug commit +
> |

> A bisect will still be testing lots of stuff without that fix. And if it
> goes into the branch with the fix, we just brought the kernel way back
> in time from point A. Then if it goes back to point B, then we zoom back
> to the future and bounce the kernel all over the place.
>
> I see no gain for having a fixed based off of the bug that it fixes.

I suppose you'd test the intermediate ("bad") area by merging in "fix
for bug" instead of cherry-picking it. In theory perhaps that would
give the bisect algorithm a little more information. (Since it's seeing
the same "fix for bug" commit each time.)

> Pros of doing this:
>
> 1) documents the point that things broke (can be done by commenting it
> in the change log too)
>
> 2) probably good for back porting (but Con 3 may out weigh this)
>
> Cons:
>
> 1) Adds many more branches and merges for no real good reason
>
> 2) Makes bisects even less linear than it already is
>
> 3) May cause more conflicts at the merge point as the broken code may
> have changed.
>

> Who will be doing the conflict resolutions? Linus? I doubt he would be
> happy with that, but he can speak for himself.

No real change there: you still won't want to send in a pull request
every time you fix a bug, so you'd pull a bunch together, merge them
(and maybe a test merge with upstream to make sure it's reasonable),
then send a pull request for the result.

I dunno, I have no strong opinions here, just curiosity.

--b.