Re: musb as module broken in 2.6.38

From: Felipe Balbi
Date: Wed Mar 16 2011 - 06:48:12 EST

Hi,

On Mar 16, 2011, at 12:43 PM, Alexander Holler wrote:

> Am 16.03.2011 11:38, schrieb Felipe Balbi:
>> hi,

>>> Don't know, I haven't written or changed the driver. ;)
>>
>> hehe, Just thought that you had something in mind already.
>>
>> probe() functions are called when, in case of platform_devices,
>> the name matches with driver name. musb-omap2430 platform_device
>> is allocated in arch/arm/mach-omap2/usb-musb.c, then musb-2430
>> driver lives in drivers/usb/musb/omap2430.c. musb-2430 allocates a
>> platform_device for musb-hdrc core driver.
>>
>> We did that because the same core is used in many different platforms
>> (OMAP, discrete chips, ST-Ericsson, DaVinci, PCI cards, etc) so we
>> needed to "abstract" platform-specific details such as clock handling
>> and power management.
>>
>> There's still work to be done, for sure, e.g. the DMA part is still quite
>> screwed up, but the drivers are correctly named which means they
>> should be matching and probing. Now, musb-hdrc isn't probing, as
>> you say, and I'd like to know why. I'll try to spend some time in
>> it when I get back to the office.
>
> I currently assume it's something with
>
> subsys_initcall(omap2430_init);
>
> Have to read about subsys_initcall() and why omap2430_init isn't called here.

I guess I know what the problem is. If you search for omap2430_init
in vmlinux it won't be there. I guess when a directory is marked as
obj-m, Kbuild won't search for symbols to be statically linked to vmlinux
on that directory. Since we use the same Kconfig entry to select musb as
module and include drivers/usb/musb directory into build system, we
are falling into that case.

Try changing drivers/usb/musb to obj-y in drivers/Makefile and see if things
start working.

--
balbi