Re: lseek() on debugfs entries in 2.6.37

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Wed Mar 16 2011 - 07:42:36 EST

On Wednesday 16 March 2011, Alexey Mikhailov wrote:
> Thank you for reply. Obvious patches like this one fixed it
>
> static struct file_operations fops_timesync = {
> .owner = THIS_MODULE,
> .open = fop_open_timesync,
> .read = fop_read_timesync,
> + .llseek = default_llseek,
> };
>
> I assume there is the reason you need to specify this
> explicitly as it will break much out-of-kernel code.

Yes, this was required as a prerequisite to removing the big
kernel lock. Generally speaking, there is very little care taken
to prevent out of tree modules from breaking. If you have device
drivers that you care about, I recommend submitting them for
inclusion in drivers/staging or as a proper driver in the mainline
kernel.

Arnd